Avondale House and Forest Park
: Rathdrum, County Wicklow, Republic of Ireland, Tel: +353 (0)404 46111.
Ballard Park Gardens
- Situated on the west bank of the Avonmore River
this 214 hectare park is synonymous with the birth of Irish forestry. The State purchased Avondale in 1904
and the first silvicultural experimental plots were laid out along the
lines of a continental forest garden. The park has six way-marked walks
and trails: River Walk, Cairn Walk, Exotic Tree Trail, Pine Tree Trail,
Centenary Trail, and Slí na Slainte (Path to Health).
: Ballard Park, Ballinaclash,
, County Wicklow, Republic of Ireland, Tel: +353 404 46251.
- This charming 4 acre garden, with a backdrop of the
Wicklow Hills and Lughnaquilla, displays herbaceous plants, rose beds,
shrubbery, woodland and water features including 2 streams and various
: Church Lane, Greystones
, County Wicklow, Republic Of Ireland, Tel: +353 (0)1 2874400.
The Dower House
- This garden fills its 1/3 acre with mixed borders, shrubs, roses, herbs, dahlias,
a laburnum arch, a white garden and
a vegetable garden.
, Ashford, County Wicklow, Republic Of Ireland, Tel: +353 (0)404 40168.
- This 19th century garden surrounds the 18th century house
with lawns, magnolias, camellias, rhododendrons and wisteria. An
elegant white formal ornamental garden with a garden house was more recently
wildflower meadows add to the beauty of the grounds.
, County Wicklow, Republic of Ireland, Tel:+353 404 45616.
Greenan Farm Museums and Maze
- This terraced rock garden is set in an extensive lawn with a scenic view of the Glendalough Mountains.
: Ballinanty, Greenan,
, County Wicklow, Republic of Ireland, Tel: +353 (0)404 46000.
- Greenan Farm offers 2 mazes to delight visitors
as well as nature walks. The 1/2 acre hedge maze is a tricky puzzle to solve while the solstice maze
provides a more contemplative experience.
: Church Road, Greystones
, County Wicklow, Republic of Ireland, Tel: +353 1 2874270.
Hunting Brook Gardens
- Divided into three areas, this pleasing garden
showcases many rare and unusual herbaceous plants and shrubs, alpine
troughs and ferns.
: Lamb Hill,
, County Wicklow, Republic of Ireland, Tel: +353 1 4583972.
Killruddery House and Gardens
- Home of Jimi Blake, a noted plantsman and designer, this
"hidden" 20 acre garden offers bright colors, lush, verdant foliage, shady glades and inspiring designs,
with a backdrop of the Hunting Brook running through the glen.
, County Wicklow, Republic of Ireland, Tel: +353 (0)404 46024.
- These important gardens, laid out in the 1680s, are
the oldest gardens in Ireland still surviving in their original 17th century
form together with 18th and 19th century additions. An orangery contains
a collection of marble sculpture.
, County Wicklow, Republic of Ireland, Tel: +353 (0)1 8570909.
- Managed by the National Botanic Gardens, this 58 acre arboretum is known for it conifers and calcifuges planted during the 19th Century by Thomas Acton.
The Forest and Wildlife Service, Coillte, still manages the walled gardens and some 20 acres of seed orchards.
, County Wicklow, Republic of Ireland, Tel: +353 404 40205.
National Garden Exhibition Centre
- This popular and award-winning 20 acre garden, privately owned,
is designed in the Robinsonian style along the banks of the Vartry River. Displaying over
5,000 different species of plants and trees, they showcase rhododendrons, magnolias, camellias, eucryphia and shrubs
set off against the water and cascades of the river.
, County Wicklow, Republic of Ireland, Tel: +353 (0)1 2819890.
Powerscourt House and Gardens
- 22 gardens designed
by designed by leading designers showcase a wide variety of design ideas as well as plants, trees and shrubs, as well as features such as water features,
a Le Batre water clock, pergolas, mirrors, unusual furniture, sculptures and stone walls.
The gardens, with 15,000 plants, include The Harlequin Walk, The Neo-Georgian Wall, Ralph's Folly and Pottager, the Water and Woodland Garden,
a Natural Woodland Garden, Oriental Reflections, Water's Edge, Tranquility, Contrasts, the Upright Garden, the Gothic Garden, a Rose Garden,
the Contemplative Garden, the Patio Garden, Scents and Sensibility, the Purple Garden, The Kettles, the Water and Rock Garden, The Riverside Retreat,
the Celtic Stone Garden, the Tree and Leaf Garden, the Nature's Urban Garden, and Revive.
: Powerscourt Estate,
, County Wicklow, Republic of Ireland, Tel: +353 (0)1 204 6000.
- A stunnning 47 acres of gardens include a terraced Italian Garden with
sweeping flower beds and statuary, a Walled Garden with
colorful rose beds, a Japanese Garden with a pagoda, stone lanterns and several bridges over a stream, and Japanese plant varieties,
and grounds with over 200 varieties of trees and
shrubs. Also available for viewing is a "pepper pot" shaped tower and Ireland's highest waterfall.
, County Wicklow, Republic of Ireland, Tel: +353 (0)45 865239.
Saint Joseph's Gardens
- This Palladian house offers a Walled Garden with a peach house, a
curvilinear conservatory, potting shed, and 3 vernacular greenhouses.
The smaller Anne's garden
features hybrid tea roses, a few shrubs and climbing plants. A beech
hedge maze, ha-has and forest land carpeted with flowering bulbs and
perennials are incorporated into the lovely parkland surrounding this
: Old Connaught Avenue,
, County Wicklow, Republic of Ireland, Tel: +353 1 2821585.
Shekina Sculpture Garden
- This imaginative 1 acre garden showcases mixed borders,
shrubs, grasses, a rose garden, a white border and a yellow mixed
, County Wicklow, Republic of Ireland, Tel: +353 1 2838711.
House Hotel and Restaurant
- Intended to be a place of tranquility, inspiration and healing, Shekina lies in the peaceful Glenmalure Valley,
near the Avonbeg river and Fananierin Mountain. The 1 acre garden
showcases sculpture by modern Irish artists incorporated into the
landscape which includes shrub beds, a stream, 2 ponds, a gazebo, an aibau, seating areas,
lawns and open views of the mountains and the surrounding countryside.
: Rathnew, Wicklow
, County Wicklow, Republic of Ireland, Tel: +353 (0)404 69274.
- Seven acres of beautiful 19th century gardens overlooking the Irish Sea and Broadlough Coastal Lagoon include the Foxes Wood, the Badger Walk, the rose garden and the herb garden, the tennis court and the croquet lawn.
, Coounty Wicklow, Republic of Ireland, Tel. +353 (0)1 2818505.
- A remarkable 22 acres sculpture garden mixing Indian-themed sculptures and other unique scultpures carved with the
owner's direction. A meditation path and philosphic maze are included.